Wednesday 21 January 2009

Dr Izeldeen Abuelaish . . .

. . . has devoted his life to reconciliation between Israelis and Palestinians. Now he is struggling to hold on to the humane philosophy that has guided his life.

Watch this New York Times report:


BBC News: In 2001, Dr Gad Potashnik was in charge of the IVF clinic at the Soroka University Hospital in Beersheba. He described Dr Abuelaish as a "magical, secret bridge between Israelis and Palestinians". But that "magical, secret bridge" is now close to breaking point.

Dr Abuelaish: "I had just left the room, carrying my youngest son on my shoulders. Then a shell came through the wall. I rushed back to find their dead bodies - or rather parts of their bodies - strewn all over the room. One was still sitting in a chair but she had no legs. Tell me why did they have to die? Who gave the order to fire on my house?"

In this report Nick Robertson of CNN describes in more detail the force for reconciliation that Dr Abuelaish has been over the years:


"They don't want to know the truth." That was the sad refrain after Dr Abuelaish was angrily heckled by Israeli onlookers at a press conference at the weekend:



And again the same event reported by Aljezeera TV:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I promise to read it and post it here as soon as possible.